Friday, January 11, 2008

2007 in Review

Yes, I know it's a little late, but oh, what the hey, here it goes.

January 2007 I weighed in at a whopping 200+ pounds. 203, I think. I started out the year with lots of prayer and fasting. I lost 20 lbs quickly, then over the next few months lost another 10.
January also brought that bad ice storm. We were out of electricity for 11 days. It was not as hard for us as it was for some. We heat with a wood stove and cook with a propane range. No water was a hassle, but we made it just fine. We played lots of dice, Yahtzee, dominoes and darts. I was somewhat sad to see the power come back on.
I started back to school, FINALLY, in January. I was working at J&J for under the table pay and going to NEO for two classes. I found I quite enjoyed being back in school and kind of beat myself up for not going back sooner. I can't change the past, but I can change my future.
On January 7, Mike celebrated 34 years on this planet.
May brought the one year anniversary of my Pastor's death. I felt relieved to have it come and go. That date meant there would be less "firsts" in my life. The first Christmas without him, the first Thanksgiving without him, etc. I still miss him a lot, but our new Pastor is doing a fine job and really, I feel more comfortable talking to him than I ever did Pastor Leon.
June brought the beginning of bike rallies I never got invited to. It also brought our 14th wedding anniversary. Which Mike left for a rally on. My feelings were pretty hurt, but the next weekend he took me on a long bike ride down to Arkansas. Even though we got rained on and nearly ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, we still had a good time.
In July, we became the proud parents of our very own teenager. Shael turned 13 on July 6.
July was also the first time I ever lost control of myself in a public place. I got mad at Mike and we got in a big fight at one of my Dad's campaign picnics. Since then, I have learned that I am suffering from pre-menopausal symptoms. Joy. Mike apparently isn't willing to help me through this difficult time like my Dad was for my Mom when she went through this mess.
On August 15th, I got to celebrate 34 years on this planet.
Also, in August, I finished my 2 summer classes, keeping my 4.0. Then I started my fall semester classes, taking 17 hours.
In September, Shael got a new puppy and I got to name him. He's still growing and he somewhat reminds me of my old dog, Dottie. Hyper and playful.
Back in June, I had quit J&J hopefully, for the last time. But, in the second week of October, I went back again. I didn't want to go back at all. It was the only place that I knew of who would work around my school schedule, and let me use the computer for quizzes and tests on days I had to work. She immediately started me at three days a week. That alone doesn't sound bad, but they were each 10 hour days. I had practically 0 homework time and I was staying up to 1:00 in the morning to do it. It was tough, my grades started slipping a bit, but I was determined to tough it out for Mike. He was the only reason I was doing it in the first place. He told me I had to get a job. So, I was miserable, but sticking with it for him.
Then October 29th came and changed our lives forever. I found out Mike was having an affair. After finding this out I quit at J&J. It had only been going on for 2 weeks (btw, I knew immediately when he started it b/c I'm not stupid, after all). He moved out and moved in with his girlfriend in Arkansas. He lived with her until Thanksgiving. He came home the day before Thanksgiving to be able to spend it with Shael and I went to my parents. Then on the day after Thanksgiving he actually moved out of her place and moved back home. He's been here ever since. But not very happy. He stays because he doesn't have the money to go or to get a divorce. But mostly he stays for Shael.
I still love him deeply. I don't know if I should preclude that sentence with "fortunately" or "unfortunately". I want him to stay. But, I want him to stay because he wants to, not because he has to.
We had a nice Christmas together. We didn't buy presents for anybody but Shael. It was nice. We've spent a lot of time together the past couple of weeks. It's bittersweet, though when I think it was probably our last Christmas together as a family. My poor Shael.
I can always hope. I will always hope. My God is so big, bigger than any problem I face. There's nothing He can't take and turn it into His glory. This is for His glory. I wish I could see the whole picture, but I can't so here I am, standing. Ephesians 6:13 says it all for me "Therefore take up the whole armor of Got, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."
December brought us another big ice storm. Though not as bad for us this time as the one in January, it was terrible for others. Because of this ice storm, all my finals were canceled. Unfortunately, I kissed my 4.0 goodbye this semester, but my grades were good enough I didn't have to worry about those finals. Awesome.
Somewhere in those terrible months, I lost another 10 pounds, ring it up to 40 pounds I lost in 2007. I rang in the new year at 160 pounds. Go me!
Though I don't know what 2008 holds for me and my family, I hold on to the word of God and trust in Him to always be there for me. God is in control.
I will leave you today with a little something Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10.
And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance
of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me,
a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times
that it might depart from me.
And He said to me,
"My grace is sufficient for you, My strength is made perfect in weakness"
Therefore, most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches,
in needs, in persecutions, in distresses,
for Christ's sake.
For when I am weak, then I am strong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bell said...

I can't let it just sit here with no comments as if nobody cares; I'm so sorry this year was so hard. Personally, I'm done giving M allowances for his awful behavior. My thoughts are with you and here's wishing 2008 will be so much better for you and your not-so-little one.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home