Monday, March 06, 2006

Lent

Even though we aren't Catholic, many from my church observe Lent each year. I've fasted many different things over the last few years, but this year we, as a church, are doing something we've never done before. Our pastor has asked us all to fast from all negative thinking and speaking. This, my friends, may be the hardest thing in the world to refrain from. Case in point, today when a certain mother came to pick up her daughter, she was dressed in an "ensemble" that I would not have chosen for her, or anybody over the age of 20. I said "Hoo, my, look at that g.... Oops! That wasn't very positive. Forgive me, Lord"
This is going to be interesting. I've been doing a lot of griping about Mike lately and that's gotta stop. I should anyway, not just because of Lent. This is also the month of Purim. So I must strive to become more pure. Lord, please help me. (I am not being sarcastic at all, that is 100% honest prayer there)
***********
Today was my nephew's first day at the Day Care. It went well, I think. It's going to take time for Valerie to get use to her newest charge. The kid is loaded with potential, but needs lots of work fulfilling it. He was put in time out only twice that I'm aware of.
One of the things we talked about over the weekend was the three different types of children. The average child, the somewhat difficult child, and the very difficult child. I don't think that is the exact wording, but you catch my drift. The average child has few "episodes", they rarely occur and usually happen when the child gets stressed. The somewhat difficult child has several "episodes", they happen more often than the average child's but not too often, and they are usually caused by stress, also. The very difficult child has lots of "episodes", they occur all the time and they can be brought on by stress or for no apparent reason at all. This third child is my nephew. For no reason he will just lose it. One of the times he was in time out today was for hitting another child. When asked why he hit her he replied "Because she was talking to me". Yep. I'm hoping that with less children surrounding him throughout the day, his episodes will tone down. He's in counseling, his Mom and his Dad and my brother, who is the step Dad in this, are all doing all they know how at this time to help the poor child. It's amazing how traumatized a life can be in just four short years. But he's going to be alright. We won't let him be any other way.
**********
Was that positive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home