Sunday, August 06, 2006

Change Is Good

Yes, I changed the name of my blog. The address, of course, is the same, but I was sick to death of all the keyword searches for "Love Is A Battlefield by Papoose". I also removed the side bar lyrics item, although I didn't really want to, but I'm sure that was helping the keyword searches find me. I think it might not have bothered me as much if it were people searching for Love Is A Battlefield by PAT BENTAR! Papoose. Give me a break.
****************
It is past 2:30 in the morning, what the heck am I doing up? I was sewing, and anytime I get on that kick, I stay up late. I was actually sewing a shoe. A moccasin, to be more exact. I could never find the correct type of leather, so I tried to make do with some very soft, very thin, leather. I got one moccasin done and I can already tell that it's not going to last. The material is way to thin. I need tanned hide and this stuff was more like a thin suede. I also made XXS when I should have made the XS. They are a tad too small. That's lovely, isn't it? Stay up to the wee hours of the a.m. sewing a shoe and you make it too small? Typical of me, I tell ya. Especially today, I can't seem to get anything right.
I was going to make Nikolas some moccasins out of this thin leather I have, I thought it would be perfect for him since he doesn't walk yet, anyway. But while we were in Deadwood, S.D., I found a pair of moccasins that were so dang cute, for 20 bucks. So, I bought them. I already had the seed bead medallion I wanted to sew on to the top of them. But when I tried to sew them on the other day, the needle I had was way too thin. The next day, I tried using a regular needle. Still too thin. So I went and bought a needle specifically made to sew leather. I also had to buy 6 other needles in the package to get that one leather needle. So, when I got home tonight around 10:15, I got that leather needle out to quickly sew on those beads. Yeah. It didn't happen. Mike got in on the action and he actually broke the needle. I didn't really care, it wasn't working anyway. We both tried several of the other needles but nothing worked. He ended up getting out his leather punch that he'd bought to add some hard leather on to his bike's sissy bar. I was a little nervous about punching huge holes in these moccasins since I got them in SOUTH DAKOTA and if he messed up I couldn't just run back up there and buy another pair. But he did it, and my darling husband actually sewed the seed bead medallions on to the moccasins. He did an excellent job, I might add. He knew I was getting frustrated and I was saying "JUST FORGET IT, HE DOESN'T NEED BEADS ON HIS SHOES!". Then I went and turned the thermostat down low because I was getting all hot with the frustration. When he started sewing, I left him alone. I didn't want to disturb him in case he actually got them done. And he did!
I sat in the floor and cut out my too small moccasin then came into the living room and sewed it up on the machine. Even though it's too small, I'm glad I made it because now I know I can make them and I will do things a little different next time. I don't even know if I should go ahead and make the other shoe, now. They are too small for me and would for sure be too small for Shael. They are so thin that the only place they'd be good for would be the Long House because it's smooth dirt in there, no rocks. If a person were to wear them outside and step on a rock, or even the dry grass in some places, they would be hurtin' for certain. It sure is cute though, I'll have to take a pic and post it. And of Mike's handiwork, too. I knew I married him for a reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home