Monday, November 20, 2006

What's Wrong With That?

This may be a first and a last for me. I'm not a country music fan, as some of you may already know. I don't listen to it and I don't follow it's artists. I do know that there's a guy in Rascal Flats that's from Picher and Keith Anderson is from Miami. That's about the extent of my country music knowledge. (Except maybe that Garth Brooks is from the same town my youth pastor is from)
Well, where I was going with this story is the video that was filmed in Miami over the weekend. You have to be house bound with no outside contact to not know about this. We were driving down Main Street heading to the bank when we ran into a road block. A huge stage was being set up in front of the Coleman Theater. "What the...?" was Mike's reaction. Oh, yeah, this must be for that big Keith Anderson concert, I didn't know when it was, I just heard my cousin's wife, Shandy, talking about it the other night in Dallas. She was going to go early so maybe she could be on the front row. He was doing this free concert on Main Street Miami to shoot his new video for the song Podunk. I saw all kinds of signs saying "Welcome Home, Keith" and "Welcome Home to Podunk" and stuff like that. Even Arvest Bank got into it and put it out on their sign. Hey, maybe he'll put it in the video and that would mean a little bit of free advertisement for them, right? :)
Here's where it gets weird. Some people were offended. What? Because he was calling Miami "Podunk". Well, HELLO!! It is! One guy said he didn't want to use his car in the video during the car show scene because he felt it was very "condescending" to use the word "podunk". Come ON, give me a break! Now that, to me, sounds a little bit like the stupid ass Geico cavemen, and you know how I hate those cave men. The words to the song, Podunk, are not condescending at all. They are just true to life words that if you know the town of Miami, you know exactly what and where he's talking about.

*Attention*
All you offended people: Get down off your high horse and listen to the words.

Same Saturday night, same ol' crowd
Draggin' Main to the Safeway then turn back around
'Til curfew and then head down to the river's edge and get drunk
Ain't nothing new what else you gonna do out in Podunk
Well I knew this six-string was my ticket out
No flashin' red light was gonna slow me down
18 years old everything that I owned in the back of that truck
I put a dip in my mouth and I headed straight out outta Podunk
1st Chorus:
Goodbye, daddy looked me in the eye said go where you gotta go
But don't forget to call home
And momma cried keep Jesus in your life and I hugged her one last time
And then I headed down the roadin a dusty cloud of smoke
Out of Podunk
Bridge:
A lot of years gone by showin' on my face
Nothing in this life that time hasn't changed
I chased a lot of dreams and some of them came true
Ain't it funny how the very place I ran from is the place I'm runnin' to
Another Saturday night singin' to the same ol' crowd
Still playin this six-string but things are different now
I met one of those girls turn your whole world around girls
And wouldn't you know it
We got our eyes on a house 'bout a hundred miles south
Out in Podunk
2nd Chorus:
Goodbye, her daddy looked me in the eye
And said go where you gotta go son but don't forget to call home
And her momma cried said keep Jesus in your life and we hugged her one last time
Then we headed down the road to start a family of our own
Out in Podunk

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Abby's had Keith's CD for nearly a year now and came to me one day after listening to it over and over and over and said, "Mom? Are we in Podunk?" She said there was a song on the album about a place called Podunk and were we there? I listened and said, "Pretty much, yeah. We are Podunk." I, too, was offended by the people who were offended. Get a grip, folks - we're a small town and I thought that was something we were proud of. Thanks for writing about this - it needed to be addressed.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home