Monday, February 20, 2006

Snow day

I really don't want to go back to work today. After two days of doing practically nothing, it's going to be hard to go back and do practically nothing at my job. I'm scared to death to drive on these roads. I don't know what they look like now, but Saturday they were horrible. Slick, people were going off the road all over the place. It's not the snow, but the ice I'm worried about. Slick patches that you don't know are slick until you find yourself in a ditch. Two years ago I had two wrecks on ice. Nine days apart. Different vehicles. I totaled my Blazer and gave Mike an opportunity to get a new door on his Jimmy. At least it's green. The door, that is. The rest of the truck is white. Thanks to those two incidents, I've developed this phobia about driving on anything besides dry pavement. Even on dry pavement sometimes I feel anxiety trying to shove it's way into my throat. I can envision myself hurling my car down a steep embankment, or flying off the road and into the lake when I'm going around that curve. Sometimes I wonder if I have a mild case of turret's syndrome. I do click my teeth when I drive by a telephone pole. That's a lot of teeth clicking.
Yesterday I didn't even step foot outside all day long. Only one foot went out the back door when I reached out for the dog's food dish to feed him. That's the closest I came to being out of doors. Mike took care of the fire all day so I didn't have to mess with that. A Sunday where I stayed home all day is something that has not been done much in my entire life. I've gone to the same church since I was 3 years old. Now, I teach the 3 year olds. 2 & 3's, really. I have to be honest, some days, that class and those kids are the only reason I get up out of bed and get myself around and go to church. It can be really hard when you've got a man beside you in bed that's pulling on you and asking you to stay home with him. He doesn't seem to realize that he has every Saturday to lounge around in bed or at home all day and I'll be happy to stay home with him. Instead, he's up and ready to go to some car show, or boat show, or gun show. Or fishing, or hunting. Seems there's always something. Then on Sundays it's "Stay home! Just call and tell them you won't be there, someone will teach your class".
We weren't even sure if Shael had scheduled school today, anyway. Mike went ahead and took her to my parents house, even if she didn't have school, she can stay there all day and he can pick her up on his way home tonight. We'd heard somewhere that her school was letting out today but we weren't sure if it was a rumor or not. I guess she'll find out when the bus either goes by or doesn't. I told him to call me and tell me what the roads were like. I could have rode with him and been at work 2-1/2 hours early, and I seriously considered that. But, I didn't do it in the end. I couldn't stand to be at that place for more than my allotted 8 hours. The last thing Mike said to me was "If you do go somewhere, make sure you don't drive the Suburban. We don't have full coverage on it". Thanks for the vote of confidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home