Monday, July 02, 2007

Arkansas Would Be Perfect If It Were'nt For All Those Dang Chicken Houses!

Mike and I took off on our belated anniversary trip Saturday morning. We drove 549.1 miles on the bike over the course of two days, Saturday and Sunday. We had to take a couple detours because 1.) the road turned to dirt and the lady who came out of her house to see if we were lost said that that was the end of the world. At least for 9 miles, that is. 9 Miles Of Dirt Road that we were not willing to take. So, we drove probably 75 miles to go around, when we were that close to where we wanted to be! And 2.) because we almost ran out of gas and the nearest gas station was out of our way. But we HAD to go there or we would have been walking. By the time we finally found a gas station that was still open, Mike put a hair over 4.9 gallons of gas in the bike. It holds 5 gallons. Yeah. It was close.
But, over all, we had a great time/ride. We ran into rain here and there, but nothing that lasted too long or was even too hard. Mostly it was an irritation we dealt with. We had our rain suits with us, we were prepared, so no biggie.
We did stay in a little po-dunk town with only one motel where we don't recommend anyone stay. To use Mike's words "That guy was profiling!" When he saw Mike was on a bike, he almost didn't rent us the room. He asked if Mike was alone and Mike said no, that there were two people and the man said "So....you got your girlfriend with you or what?" Mike was like "Uhhhhhh, no....she's my wife" Was the guy going to give Mike the room had I not been his wife, or what? Then he told Mike that all their properties were alcohol free "AND DID HE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT?" Mike said "Dude, we just want to find a place to sleep for the night and we'll be out of here in the morning. No, we don't care that we can't have alcohol."
We finally got the room and it was clean, but old. There was a complete kitchen, with sink, stove, fridge, and microwave. There were two coffee cups in the dish drainer, but no coffee maker or coffee. There was a toaster, but no coffee maker. ????WTH!!!
So, if you are going to be in Huntsville, Arkansas, drive right on through, don't stay at the town's only motel.
If we hadn't been so tired and tense from searching for deer on the road, we might've made it all the way in to Eureka Springs. Yesterday morning when we got up, we drove through Eureka and headed on home. Well, to Miami, that is. My Dad had his first fund raiser in Miami yesterday and we went there before we went home. We were both road weary and sun "kissed" but we went anyway. There was food and a cake walk and an auction. Mike got me a new purse. It looks like a Pendleton, but I don't think it is. It's very pretty. There was also a cake walk and I got the very last cake. Store bought mini cupcakes. Gross. I gave them, along with the only other store bough cup cakes that Mom had ironically won, to my Mother in law because she had a slew full of kids at her house. Out of 40 or so home made cakes/cookies/brownies, me and Mom won the store bought crap. Oh, well, it was $3 towards a good cause.
I am off to work on my first speech some more. I've got it about 89% completed. I give it next Monday. A week from today. I'm a little nervous. I don't think I'll totally bomb, but I don't have complete confidence that I'll ace it either. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home