Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Rain Got Us AGAIN!

Mike took off work about 2-1/2 hours early yesterday to take me to Tulsa to go see one of The Aunts who's been in the hospital since May. Bless her heart. She's actually in rehab right now, but she still has that trache in so she can't talk. I'm still no good at reading lips.
But, we didn't get gone when I was expecting (and hoping). Mike got home at 1:50, I'd been ready to go since 1:30. He'd called my cousin, Mitchell, to see if he wanted to go with us. It is, after all, Mitchell's Mom. He said he didn't feel good, he'd taken a Benedryl and was sleepy, so give him time to take a nap, then he'd go. So, we waited around on him. Mike even took a nap. What was the point of Mike even taking off work so early, was my question. Finally, around 3:00, we headed on over to Mitchell's house and he wasn't even there. We waited on him for about 5 minutes and when he got there, he farted around for another 15 minutes, then stretched out in his big Laz-Y-Boy and said "Mikey, I don't think I'm going to make it today". It was 3:30 by the time we left his house. Then we stopped to get gas and try to get a hold of someone else who had expressed a little interest in going with us only to be told "Hell no, I don't wanna go! It's too hot!" So, after waiting around on these people who didn't want to go, we left. Finally.
Mike had this idea that we'd go a different way than usual, which is fine by me, I'm all for seeing new things, or at least things I don't see all the time. We went through Ketchum, where Mike cussed and was getting downright pissed at the slow driver in front of us who we couldn't get around. Then we went through Langley, and when we were about a mile from Adair, it started raining. When we hit Adair limits, it was pouring! It went from scorching hot to hard rain in 5 seconds. And guess what? There was a train. So, what else could we do? We sat in line with all the other vehicles waiting on the train. Only all the other vehicles were pickups and cars. There we sat, in the torrential down pour, on the bike. There was not one dry spot on either one of us by the time it was all said and done. Our jeans felt like they weighed about 50 lbs. When the train finally got all the way by, we crossed over and stopped at this gas station that had a pavilion over the pumps. Although, I'm not sure why, because we were already as wet as you can get. We sat there for a good 30 minutes waiting for the rain to slow down and when it finally slowed down to a light sprinkle, we took off. And get this, we had hardly gone a mile when the rain stopped and the pavement was dry. It hadn't even rained there! We'd sat in hard rain for 30 minutes when a mere mile away it wasn't even raining.
It was so hot that we dried off, for the most part, in 30 more minutes of riding. It did rain off and on the rest of the way in to Tulsa, but never enough to get us real wet again. The only things that wouldn't dry on either one of us was our butts and our crotches. We both looked like we'd peed in our pants. Mike's butt really wasn't as wet as mine, I guess because I was sitting behind him and absorbing most of the water, but my butt was super wet.
We got to the hospital at 6:30. And guess what(again)? They don't have visiting hours between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. each night. We went and ate at our favorite Mexican joint in Tulsa and then stopped off at a Walgreen's for some insoles for my boots, and got back to the hospital at 8:06. We stayed and visited her for an hour and she was getting really sleepy by the time we left, we could tell.
The whole time, Mike was sweating and complaining about how hot it was in there, and I kept telling him he was crazy, it wasn't hot. There ended up being two factors making both of us wrong. Mike had gotten one of those sticky heat pads for his back and had me put it on him at Walgreen's and it was heating him up something fierce! I was still pretty wet, so I was kind of cooled off because of that. Auntie "mouthed" that it was hot in the whole building, but keeping the over head lights off and the fan on the wall on helps it stay bearable.
On the way home, we went our usual way, Route 66. We stopped in Vinita for me to use the bathroom and Mike made the comment that if we'd gone that way on the way down, we probably wouldn't have even run into any rain at all. Of course not! I'm telling ya, it's always an adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home