Sunday, March 18, 2007

I'm In A Hurry

In a hurry to sit and do nothing, that is. I know this week is going to fly by. Much faster than I would like for it to. I will sit and enjoy it as much as possible. Somewhat jealous of the young whippersnappers in my class who are going to places like Florida, Colorado, and taking cruises to the Caribbean. It turns out that a lot of my fellow classmates for General Psychology are the sons of doctors. Hmm. Yeah.
*
On to better subjects. Wait a minute. What am I thinking? This is my life, there are no better subjects! LOL
*
The ladies retreat went very well. It was so good. The speaker was good, what she had to say was good, and some of the things she said to my Pastor's wife, Rhonda, were right on. God is so amazing.
Mom sold about 60 pieces of clothing during this weekend. She started out with 252, which is a fraction of what she use to bring down there. It wasn't too much of a hassle to get her set up and to tear down what was left. It left the beauty shop big and empty in the front. Mom keeps saying she can't wait for God to show her what goes in there next. My personal hope is somebody else's business. I would like to see her find something else she could do to create an income so she could get out of the place once and for all. She's been a hair dresser for 33 years and her legs are not very thankful for the life they've been given. Until she knows what else to do with that big empty part of the building, I asked her about getting some workout videos and her and I doing some aerobics. Low impact, of course, for her legs and my boobs. We'll see how that pans out.
*
This week, during my well looked forward to Spring Break, I am going to do some serious work on my research paper. The due date is coming up soon and I am no where near done. I've barely even begun. But I have started. I've talked to some of my classmates and they seem so confident in their ability. I feel so, what's the word I'm looking for? Terrified! I don't even know how to start writing this thing. All I've done so far is write a bunch of notes, and now I have to make sense of those notes and put them in APA style. Happy, happy, joy, joy. I think if I could just look at someone else's paper, kind of get a feel of how to set it up, it might help. I've looked on line and that's been a little help, but I haven't been able to see an entire paper, for practical reasons, I suppose. But I need to see how to start this thing. I got some good solid advice the other night on how to work on it. Write all my ideas and phrases on index cards. One idea per card. Narrow it down to a single issue, instead of letting it be so broad that it's incomprehensible. Get my thoughts on index cards organized and just start writing the paper. Sounds simple enough. *sigh* This is tough for this old broad who hasn't written a research paper in 15 years. And never one in APA style.
On the bright side, guess what the first thing I learned about teen sexuality was? That parents have far greater influence on their kids than parents think. Far more influence than peer pressure, but the parents have to do some work. Some talking, some talking and then a little more talking. It's not all about giving the birds and the bees talk one time and never mention it again. It's an ongoing process until that child is grown. It made me feel pretty smart to know that Mike and I have done something right without knowing we were doing the right thing.
*
Before I forget, I got to find out what my test score was before I left the college the other day. I made a 92%. Plus the 10 extra points for my team being the winning Jeopardy! team, that made my final score 102%. I was very happy. Slightly disappointed because I am still striving for that perfect score. Each test gets better, so maybe by the end of the year, I'll have at least one perfect test score. Here's hoping anyway.
*
I also got some assignments (FINALLY) from my Children's Lit class. It turns out that now I'm going to be overloaded with all this work from this class when the first part of the semester we did literally nothing. No pun intended. I don't know, it may have to do with the fact that I mentioned to the office that the class was a complete bust and I felt like I was wasting my time and money with it. She said she'd take care of it and I guess she did. Now I have loads of homework. I'm okay with that, after all, it's what I took the class for. To learn something and to do something. When we get back from Spring Break, we are going to be working on poetry. Great. I loath poetry. Unless you count music lyrics. That's about as close to poetry that I can endure. Maybe there's poetry out there that would suit me, I don't know. But, all the poetry that I've been exposed to has sucked. My utmost unfavorite was Walt Whitman. Geez , what a freak! I still have my college lit book because of all the short stories that I liked are in it. But, probably a third of it is poetry. You know, it's suppose to be devoted to the best and the best loved American poets, but they are ridiculous! I was reading some aloud one day to my friend, Valerie, and we both got to laughing at the preposterous writings. I kept saying "People really like this crap?" and we'd laugh some more.
So, as you can tell, I'm really looking forward to plunging myself into poetry next week. Wahoo. The ironic thing is, Mike use to really get into poetry. Scary, huh? Only now, he's mostly into the dirty limerick kind of poetry. Go figure, huh?
*
Well, I'm going to get off here and go put on a pair of socks. My feet are cold. Hopefully I'll be able to post this without the computer messing up, like it tends to do. Oh, I'm spoiled rotten to the college computers now. I'll never be the same.
Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home