Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's Quiet Again

There's just a different feeling in the house when Shael isn't here. She was absent from home several weeks over the summer, but this, this is different. She's in SCHOOL!
Wyandotte is doing something different this year, and I think it's a good thing. A very good thing. They made an advisor period and each student goes to his/her advisor for 20 minutes between 2nd and 3rd hours. Shael's advisor is a woman I went to high school with. She's real close to the Diva. Since Shael is still in middle school, they will be discussing issues that concern middle schoolers, such as bullying, drugs and alcohol, that sort of thing.
I'm so glad because Shael's been a victim of bullying the past few years and it goes all through me. Some of it has even come from (*GASP*) teachers. I'm sure the teachers aren't even aware that what they are doing is technically bullying. But, since they're teachers, they get away with it. In fact, Shael never reports it when it happens so even the students get away with it. So, I'm hoping that she will become comfortable enough with her advisor that she will report it if it happens again.
Bullies suck. No matter what age they are. Last year this girl stole a bunch of Shael's things right in front of Shael and when Shael told the teacher the teacher did nothing. The things the bully stole were nothing serious, they were her post cards she got in South Dakota on our vacation, but that is not the point. The point is, they were Shael's and that girl took them from Shael. Then when Shael stood up to her and demanded them back (after the teacher wouldn't help) the girl ripped the post cards to shreds and got up and threw them in the trash can. Is that not bullying? Shael was so mad, and so hurt because you can't replace post cards like that without going there again.
She also had to get a lock for her locker because people kept getting into her locker and tearing her stuff up. Why do kids have to be so cruel? Especially to the most tender ones. It's like they have this radar that picks up the weaker ones, or the soft hearted ones and they pick on them until they graduate.
Poor Shael, she's got her Dad's underachiever reputation and her Mom's soft heart. Not a good combination for middle school. She got all excited with the thought of high school in only one year. I think that what Mike and I have told her is starting to sink in. About how fast it goes and before she knows it she will be graduating high school. That's only 5 years away! I cannot believe that next year at this time I will be typing about how I'm the parent of a high schooler!
*
Well, my schedule got changed around a little bit. Instead of being able to take the Intro to Lit class (which was already full) I opted to take Physical Science. Online. Please don't let me regret taking 2 Internet classes this semester! That is a 4 hour course, so it brought my total hours up to 17.
And to top it all off, I lost my new job before I even got to start it. She called last night and told me that some of the parents pulled their kids out and so now she doesn't have enough kids to need me. The place is owned by a church and I seriously think they need to rethink their decision to hire her as director. She's ran a lot of people off. Not just employees, but potential clients as well. One lady I know personally, she was going to put her little girl there but after talking to the director, she changed her mind and said no way, she'd rather put up with the high count over at Jack & Jill's than leave her with that lady. That's not good.
*
That leaves me kind of up in the air about what I should do. Should I try to find another job? Should I concentrate on getting through school? I don't know. To get Mike off my back, I'll have to have some kind of income, so getting some sort of job is going to have to be in my plans. *sigh*
*
I am off to watch Cash In The Attic. I love that show. My days of leisure are coming to an end. I might as well watch it while I have the time.
Ta!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home