Friday, September 28, 2007

Broken Bridges and Bullet Holes

There's this bridge that I cross over at least 14 times a week. It is probably the worst bridge in Oklahoma! If you go under it, you can see how the supports are crumbling away and you can even see daylight through the actual bridge part. There's holes that big on the surface. Well, instead of tearing it down and building a brand new bridge, like they did for Twin Bridges over by Wyandotte, they are trying to salvage it. WHY? It is such a crappy bridge. I mean, the speed limit on this bridge is 35 mph. That should tell you something, right? Right now the west lane is closed and each lane is using one lane. They have a stop light at either end to let traffic go one direction while the other direction is stopped. They stripped it down to the re bar in places. I don't understand their reasoning. Sure, it would be a HUGE pain in the arse and a great big ole hassle to detour traffic, but come ON, this bridge needs to come down! I guess we gotta trust the engineers on this one. I'm no engineer, so I'm hoping they know what they are doing.
*
While I was stuck at the red light at the bridge, I was waiting behind this brand new Ford pickup. It had those stupid looking stickers on it to make it look like it had been shot up. Why, in heaven's name, would you want fake bullet holes on the tailgate of your brand new pickup? It doesn't look cool, it looks stupid. Tell me this, if you had a brand new pickup, and someone actually shot the tailgate all up, and you had genuine bullet holes, would you call your insurance guy up immediately and have them patched up? Or would you leave them because they looked cool?
When Mike and I first got together (which it occurred to me last night has been 16 years this week) he drove this old beat up car. A Datsun. That sucker was the best car ever, it would go and nothing could stop it. Starter crap out on it? No problem, just park on a hill, shove off, pop the clutch, and you were gone! And it was SO FUN to drive. It would get on it, now. It may have looked like a piece of crap, but, I wish we still had that piece of crap, it got excellent gas mileage (back when gas was $1.15 and we were griping that it shouldn't be over a dollar, jeez, how innocent we all were).
But, this car had, you guessed it, a bullet hole on the back right fender. A real bullet hole. The entire car looked like a heap of junk rolling down the road, so Mike never even bothered patching up that one single bullet hole no one noticed. Man, we were so cool, ahead of our time, but cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bell said...

I remember that car. Don't remember the bullet hole, though. I guess those Okies just know how to live - I have yet to see the fake bullet hole bumper sticker.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home