Saturday, September 08, 2007

When Do I Get To Become A Grown-Up?

Okay, please forgive me in advance for the whining I know I'm going to be doing about this Physical Science class. It is so hard! I have had a head ache for several weeks now and Mike says it's probably because I've been having to use it. Yes, that is no lie. Usually when I study something, I can read it, sit back and think on it for a few minutes and a solution to the problem comes to me, and if it doesn't I re-read it and sit and think again and I get it figured out in about 5 or 10 minutes. This class has not been like that for me. My gosh, I read it, sit back and think and the only think that goes through my head is "What the heck did I just read?" It's like Greek to me! It's physics, and people, I am no Newton, I assure you. I read it and read it and no solution comes to me, only frustration. On my lab this week, one question got answered with a great big "I DON'T KNOW!" in dark black Sharpie. And the next question got answered with a "?"
I've cried, I've prayed, I've pleaded with God to give me wisdom and understanding. When Mike got home Wednesday, he took one look at me and went "ooo, boy" after releasing a big gush of air. I had been crying over homework! That's ridiculous.
But, I have a consolation tonight. I read the message board for this class, it had 10 new messages on it. People were asking if it was hard and if anyone else was struggling and they all said "YES!!!" In fact, some of them admitted to crying over it. I felt so much better and not alone. We are going to try to get together for a study group and maybe find someone who might be able to explain things to us. One person said they had a graduate student look at it to help them and they didn't understand it, either. Okay, that seemed so not right to me. This is a FRESHMAN course, for heaven's sake! And this professor is not making questions up out of thin air, he is getting his questions directly out of the book.
I'm hoping that once we get out of the Physics portion of the book, it might ease up some. Who knows. All I know is that I can't wait to get this course over with. And why, oh, why, didn't I take Geology instead. Silly me thought it would be hard. I would much rather learn about rocks than gravity and how much force the ground is pushing back on me as I walk across it.
*
Okay, on to other subjects. Today, I opted to spend my day off of school to go to a class. How droll. But, I did. A class on Robert's Rules of Order. Or, Parliamentary Procedure. Before this, my knowledge on Parliamentary Procedure was limited to the stint in Future Homemakers of America (FHA) when I was a senior in high school. We were the only team to show up to the local competition so we automatically qualified for district. We had to place first in district to go on. We barely missed it by coming in 2nd. Of course, there was only one other team we competed against, but who's counting? HA! We SUCKED. We were so bad, it was a total joke, and embarrassing. The only reason we did it was because our home ec teacher made us. We came back to school telling people we came in second. We all promised not to tell anyone there were only two teams, so technically, we came in dead last. Even if there had been 10 teams, I have full confidence we would've still come in dead last. We were that bad.
But now, all these years later, I'm brushing up on my "Mr. Chairman, I make a motion.....I second....Point of Order!...etcetera. etcetera, etcetera. (My impersonation of the King Of Siam) This is the way our tribal meetings go, which is the reason I'm brushing up on this ridiculous way of performing a meeting. I guess it really is a neat and tidy way of holding a meeting, but our meetings are anything but neat and tidy so it all seems a little superfluous. We are hoping to get a handle on this way of order so we can use it against the man.
In previous Roberts Rules (RRO) meetings, I've been told that the instructor kept talking as if this were the way it was in real life. The way it goes on paper in no way represents the way it actually goes down on meeting day. Not with the chairman we have right now. But, today, he was addressing the situation and telling us/showing us how to handle an imperfect situation with a bad chairman.
I really hope we can get this down before the next meeting. Although, I don't really see myself standing up in front of God and everyone in the general council, facing Paul Spicer with a motion. I might be able to learn about parliamentary procedure, but I still know next to nothing about tribal affairs, and I feel I would do the tribe an injustice if I pretended that I did.
Today, though I learned many things, was boring as all get out. Jeez-Louise.
*
Mom has been asking me to help her clean up the beauty shop with her for a couple weeks now. Yesterday was the first chance I got to go up there, even though she was working, I did a little bit. The place is terribly dirty! I suggested calling Merry Maids. I had borrowed some money from her about 6 weeks ago, $120 to be exact, and she told me instead of paying her back I could help her with this. The day I gave her the money she told me to keep it and help me with the shop instead, if I wanted to. Well, an extra $120 in my pocket was needed, so I took her up on her offer. Now I wish I'd just paid her the money. No $120 is worth this! But, she's my Mom and she asked me to help her, so honestly, I'm doing it for her because she asked me. And she really needs help with it, it's too big a job for one person. The cob webs are getting so bad there it looks like Peter Parker has set up residence or something.
*
I have also inherited the official job of High Point! Pilot. What's that? It is the new children's program my Pastor has decided to do on Wednesday nights to replace Missionette's and Royal Rangers. It's really a good program. But, it needed a coordinator, or supervisor, or Pilot, whatever you want to call it. It is sectioned off into 5 week sessions, with new teachers each session. The second session we did it, I volunteered. I said I would be the Pilot. And guess what, I must've been good at it, because my Pastor's wife told me the job is now permanently mine and I was in charge of the whole thing.
Hmm. It is fun, and I do enjoy it. And I do appreciate the fact that each Wednesday night I get a glimpse of my goal, and why I'm going to school in the first place. I just wish I had more time to devote to it. I devote enough to get by, I come 100% prepared each Wednesday night, 30 minutes early, even. I get the other teacher's their stuff by Sunday morning so they have four days to prepare. But, that means nights like Thursday night. Where I stayed up to 1:30 in the morning doing homework so I would have the whole day Friday to help at the beauty shop and all day Saturday to go to that RRO workshop.
I remember many, Many times Pastor Leon would say if you want something to get done and get done right, give the responsibility to the busiest person in the church. I hear his voice in so many things these days. I still miss him so much. But, life goes on. And in my case, in a fury.
I asked this girl to substitute for a teacher who was going to be gone a few weeks ago and she was so excited and told me thank you for thinking of her because she'd wanted to help but didn't know how to ask. So, naturally, I was thinking "All right! Fresh meat! For the next session, I know who to go ask to help" So, I did. The week before I'd need her, I approached her about it and you know what she told me? "Well, I'm going to have to pass for now. I'm still involved in the nursery once a month and now I'm teaching a Sunday School class, so I really don't want to do anymore to miss the big service". I was totally taken aback. I didn't know what to say or how to react, so I just stood there and stared at her for a good 2 or 3 seconds without blinking then said "Oh, OK" and walked away wondering who the heck I was going to get.
I don't want to brag, but I will (HA!). I also am still involved in the nursery and work in there once a month. I have taught the same Sunday School class for 12 years. I'm taking 17 hours in college. And I am not only involved in the High Point! but am heading it off and coordinating it each week. I also have a husband and a family that need my attention.
Oh, well. I tried to let it slide off. I can laugh about it now, in fact, I went to my friend, Vicki's house and told her about it and we both got a good laugh over it. I didn't have to tell her all I do, she already knows, so it was all the sweeter to know I had someone who could see the humor in it with me.
*
Well, that's certainly not all that's been going on, but I've rambled long enough. I go for days without posting anything, then get on here and blab on and on. It's the nature of the curse. The curse of having the insatiable need to publicly post my inner most thoughts. Maybe not my inner most, but definitely my in between thoughts.
*
P.S.
Yes, it is Randy Jones. I would appreciate any sympathy I could get in this area. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Friend, you have my deepest sympathy. I still pray for you daily.

Tater took Chemistry from him and said she cried every day. I think she ended up with a C and said she earned every bit of it, paid for with her tears.

When Mom worked there, a nursing student came to her in tears and was desperate to make some kind of sense out of one of his classes and just couldnt' and she was hysterical and hyperventilating all over the place. Mom took her directly to the Registrar and they moved her to the same class with a different instructor. If you're desperate...you might turn on the waterworks....I'm just sayin'.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home